There are dozens of reasons why Vanguard Collegiate (VCI) should be a top consideration for your middle schooler. From free transportation to an incredible curriculum, we are a charter school of choice. Here are the top 10 reasons why our small tuition-free school is making a big impact and should be on your list!
- Small School Size. We’re intentionally small, with around 100 scholars, which allows for more personalized attention and fosters strong relationships between students, teachers, and staff. We pride ourselves by knowing every scholar by name and being able to help in a myriad of ways at a moment’s notice.
- Wraparound Services. We’re located in the Hawthorne Community Center, which has a Center For Working Families. This strategic location allows us to offer seamless access to wraparound services, providing support for mental, health, housing, and employment assistance to families, if necessary.
- Academic Success. VCI has a proven track record of academic success, with test scores showing significant yearly improvement. This is thanks to our hands-on approach to education and our genuine care for our scholars’ long-term success.
- Addressing Food Insecurity. Scholars are not just a number at VCI – they’re family. And we treat food security seriously, distributing food every Thursday (in partnership with the community center) to families in need and ensuring that no child goes hungry. Our teachers and staff understand that life challenges can greatly impact scholar performance and go the extra mile to help as much as possible.
- Diverse Student Population. VCI has a diverse student body that includes LGBTQI+, scholars of color, different abilities and more. With 95% of the scholar population consisting of minorities, we are a welcoming, safe and inclusive environment for children of all backgrounds.
- Staff Diversity, Including African-American Male Teachers. The school’s staff is 95% people of color, reflecting the diversity of the student body and fostering a supportive environment. Studies have shown the positive impact of having African-American male teachers for varied student bodies and VCI proudly has four such educators on staff.
- Strong Social-Emotional Development. VCI’s size and personalized approach to education create an environment where students can develop strong social-emotional skills, setting them up for success in and out of the classroom. Our curriculum is fun and challenging–our field trips, too–and we strive to bring out the best in our scholars every day.
- We Help Scholars Get to High School and Beyond. We deliver best-in-class instruction, implement a rigorous curriculum, and foster supportive character development. As a thoughtfully designed school, VCI adapts to our scholars’ ever-changing needs. Our middle schoolers benefit from realistic and successful pathways to high school, college and life beyond. By eighth grade, our scholars can earn high school credit.
- A New Focus on Scholar Experience. We have a new position whose sole purpose is to find opportunities outside of the classroom for scholars to learn more dynamically. We’ve been able to connect the dots and find exciting learning experiences for kids in the areas of math, science and technology, specifically. We’re big on practical application of the knowledge gained in class, so these outside experiences can bring everything full circle.
- Monthly Field Trips. Our goal is to consistently expose our scholars to exciting learning environments. From 3D printing labs to discovering the science behind drones, we keep education exciting and aligned with the times.
Choosing the right school for your child is a crucial decision. With our small size, personalized approach, wraparound services, and commitment to diversity and mental health, VCI is an excellent choice for families looking for an environment where their children can flourish. We are tuition-free and ready to welcome your child. Interested in learning more? Contact us today!
About Vanguard Collegiate of Indianapolis
Vanguard Collegiate of Indianapolis (Vanguard) is a close-knit middle school with a big impact. Serving grades 6-8, we are a public charter offering innovative learning and wraparound social services. Our goal is to prepare our scholars for success in high school and beyond. At Vanguard, we believe in “opening doors” for our scholars through engaging academics, a safe environment, leadership development, and a strong sense of community. Enroll your scholar today!